Light Wood is the most versatile of all wood shades.
- Gives the greatest depth/contrast of all the colors especially dark stains
- Works well with any color stain except dark cherry
- Makes a great base coat when using the graining tool
- Dark Stains come out as light or dark as you want depending on how long you let it absorb (Follow wood stain directions to see the range of time for absorption.)
Dark Wood has deep warm undertones giving less contrast when used with darker stains.
- Commonly used for the graining coat over light wood
- Light Wood is usually a better choice for dark stains.
- Dark wood is the best choice for a dark cherry stain
- Use dark wood with dark stains if you don't want as much variation/depth between the stain and the wood.